Vitamin D is an essential nutrient that is important for bone health and the absorption of calcium. It is also known to play a role in the immune system, insulin production, and cell growth. A deficiency in vitamin D can lead to a variety of health problems.
Symptoms of low vitamin D levels can include:
- Fatigue and weakness
- Muscle pain, weakness, or cramps
- Bone pain or tenderness
- Low mood or depression
- Getting sick or infected frequently
- Slow wound healing
- Hair loss
- Dry skin
- Difficulty losing weight
It’s worth noting that some people may not have any symptoms of low vitamin D levels, which is why it’s important to have your vitamin D levels checked by a healthcare professional if you have any risk factors for deficiency. These risk factors include:
- Dark skin, as melanin can reduce the skin’s ability to produce vitamin D
- Limited sun exposure, as vitamin D is produced when the skin is exposed to sunlight
- Being overweight or obese
- Having a diet that is low in vitamin D-rich foods, such as fatty fish and fortified milk
- Having certain medical conditions, such as Crohn’s disease or celiac disease, that affect the body’s ability to absorb nutrients
- Taking certain medications, such as glucocorticoids or anticonvulsants, which can affect vitamin D levels
If you are found to have low vitamin D levels, your healthcare professional may recommend vitamin D supplements or recommend increasing your dietary intake of vitamin D-rich foods. It’s also important to be mindful of getting enough sun exposure, however, it’s important to protect your skin from sun damage by wearing sunscreen and appropriate clothing, especially during the hours when the sun’s rays are the strongest.
At ME Aesthetics we offer clients Blood test-based Nutritional advise, book your consultation today with one of our Nurse professionals.